1. Name, Age, Hometown
Kassidy Cumber, 16, Virginia Beach, VA
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
My mom put me in it when I was a little girl, around two, and I didn’t like it. Then, she put me in dance, and I didn’t like that at all so I went back to gymnastics and discovered it really was for me.
4. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
Competing on the elite level is not a goal of mine. I really want to compete at the collegiate level. I love the team aspect of competition. How everyone works together towards a common goal.
5. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
I train Monday-Saturday for four hours. I would say it got a little more intense with each level, adding a day here and an hour there.
6. What is your favorite event?
7. What is your favorite skill?
Full-in on floor
8. What music do you use for your floor routine?
I have three songs; the first is “Fancy” by Iggy Azealea, second is “Girls Run the World” by Beyonce and the third is a Mexican song but I can’t remember the name.
9. Who is your favorite gymnast or who is your “idol”?
Hope Sloanoffer. I trained with her and really like her dedication and positive attitude.
10. How have you grown as a gymnast during your career, both skill wise and mentally?
I have grown to be more confident in myself. When I started, I was little shaky and this has taught me to focus on the next skill or event.
11. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
I’m more of a team player now and a better leader.
12. If you had to select one life-lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
It has taught me to believe in yourself and that you can only do what you can do, so it will be your best.
13. What are your biggest accomplishments or best memories in your career?
When I went to J.O. Nationals two years in a row, and then this year, qualifying for the Nastia Liukin Cup. I actually didn’t know this meet could qualify me, and I when I found out I was really excited. Also, being recruited and signed by West Virginia University.
14. What grade are you in school, and where do you go to school?
I am a sophomore at Kempsville High School
15. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
Yes, verbally committed to WVU.
16. What are your favorite subjects, etc.?
Math and Science
17. If you plan to go to college, do you know what you want to study there?
I want to help people so either physical therapy or pharmacy because I love chemistry.
18. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
I want to compete all-around for WVU and be a team player. When I’m finished, I want to coach and help like my coaches helped me.
19. When you’re not in the gym, how do you enjoy spending your time? Do you have any hobbies or favorite activities? Charities?
Hang out with my friends and do outings with my team.
20. What is your favorite food?
21. What is your favorite movie?
Safe Haven/The Vow
22. What is your favorite book?
If I Stay
23. What is your favorite music group?
Luke Bryan – Singer
24. Do you have any competition rituals? Lucky charms?
I have to have my hair a certain way, which is a version of a floppy bun. Also, I wear the same hair ties in practice and meets.
25. What’s on your IPod right now? What type of music do enjoy listening to? How about before a meet when you’re trying to get focused and pumped up?
A little bit of everything; country, hip-hop, anything except for metal.
26. If you had to pick 3 words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what are they?
Confident, Focused, Dedicated
27. What 3 words describe you as a person, not the gymnast?
Talkative, Funny, Helpful