Q: Do you have a nickname?
A: Nev, Nevy
Q: Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
A: In Level 4, I mounted the beam the wrong way and did my whole beam routine the wrong way.
Q: What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
A: I train five days a week, 20 hours total.
Q: What is your favorite event?
Q: Who is your favorite gymnast or who is your “idol”?
A: Nadia Comaneci
Q: How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
A: It has taught me how to work hard and manage my time.
Q: What are your biggest accomplishments or best memories in your career?
A: Placing third all-around at nationals and qualifying for my second Nastia Liukin Cup.
Q: What grade are you in school, and where do you go to school?
A: I’m a Sophomore at Vacaville High school.
Q: Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
A: Yes! I am verbally committed to University of California, Berkeley.
Q: What are your favorite subjects, etc.?
Q: When you’re not in the gym, how do you enjoy spending your time? Do you have any hobbies or favorite activities? Charities?
A: I like to watch TV and hang out with my friends
Q: What is your favorite food?
Q: Are any of your family members current or former athletes? Which sports?
A: Yes, my sister Ariana does gymnastics too, she’s a level 8.
Q: If you had to pick 3 words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what are they?
A: Determined, confident, and a leader
1. Name, Age, Hometown:
Nevaeh Monet DeSouza, 14, Fairfield, Calif.
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. Where do you live to train? (Not your hometown unless you train in hometown).
4. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
My mom put me in it when I was 2, and I have loved it ever since.
5. Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
I remember meeting my best friend in the old Level 3, and I forget my beam routine in Level 4.
6. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
When I was 5, I decided that I wanted to compete but I had to wait till my sixth birthday. I decided I wanted to do elite when I was 13. I liked that you were scored on the difficulty in your routine. I love to compete because you get to show off what you can do.
7. What is your training regimen? Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
I train 20 hours a week, and when I did elite, I trained about 30 hours.
8. What is your favorite event?
9. What is your favorite skill?
My favorite skill that I have done but not competed is the Counter Kim. It is a really hard skill and not many people can do it.
10. What music do you use for your floor routine?
Fun floor music from a Cirque Show – Not sure of the name.
11. Who is your idol?
12. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
It taught me how to work hard, and be persistent.
13. If you had to select one life lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
That your hard work really does pay off.
14. What grade are you in and where do you go to school?
9th grade, and I’m a freshman at Vacaville High School.
15. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
Yes, definitely! I am verbally committed to University of California, Berkeley.
16. What are your favorite subjects?
17. What do you want to study at college?
Exercise science or something to do with sports.
18. What are your goals for the future, both as an athlete and after you are finished competing?
I want to accomplish the most that I can, maybe try to win Nationals one day. For the future, I want to be successful at whatever job/career I choose.
19. When you are not in the gym, how do you spend your time? Hobbies or favorite activities?
I like to hang out with my friends, and go shopping.
20. What is your favorite food?
21. Favorite movie?
Little Miss Sunshine
22. Favorite music group?
I like a variety of music, Hip hop, R&B and Country.
23. Do you have any competition rituals? Lucky charms?
Not really any rituals, I just like to do some extra stretching and moving around before the meet, and my lucky charms are all over my backpack.
24. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what would they be?
Tough, Determined, and Dedicated
25. If you had to pick three words to describe yourself not as a gymnast, what would they be?
Outgoing, Fun, and Hardworking