1. Name, Age, Hometown
Cassidy Keelen, 17, Lucas, Texas
2. Do you have a nickname?
3. When and why did you first become interested in gymnastics?
When I was six I started taking some gymnastics classes to try it out. As I got older and moved up in level, I became more interested in overcoming challenges I faced.
4. Do you have any good/funny memories from when you first started taking gymnastics classes?
When my class teacher let me and my teammates play volleyball instead of doing conditioning.
5. When did you decide you wanted to compete? And, when did you want to compete on the elite level? What about competition appeals to you?
I decided I wanted to compete when I moved to Level 7 and began to train more hours.
6. What is your training regimen?
I train from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Saturday except for Wednesdays, when I train from 7-11:15 a.m. (about 24 hours a week).
7. Was that a big change when you made the switch to competitive gymnastics?
Yes, increased training hours were a big change for me, but, I enjoyed it.
8. What is your favorite event?
9. What is your favorite skill?
Double pike on Floor.
10. What music do you use for your floor routine?
A mix of “Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes.
11. Who is your favorite gymnast or who is your “idol”?
My favorite gymnast is Kim Zmeskal-Burdette.
12. How have you grown as a gymnast during your career, both skill wise and mentally?
During my career, I have learned and compete with more skills than I ever thought I could, and I have learned how having a good mindset helps me achieve more.
13. How has gymnastics helped you as a person?
Gymnastics has helped me develop discipline I didn’t have before.
14. If you had to select one life-lesson that gymnastics has taught you, what would it be?
It would be to only focus on the things you can control.
15. What are your biggest accomplishments or best memories in your career?
My biggest accomplishments include placing in the all-around at 2012 and 2014 JO Nationals. My best memories include competing in these events and competing in four years of Legendz Classic Finals.
16. What grade are you in school, and where do you go to school?
I am a junior in high school (11th grade) at Laurel Springs High School.
17. Do you want to compete in collegiate gymnastics?
18. What are your favorite subjects, etc.?
19. When you’re not in the gym, how do you enjoy spending your time? Do you have any hobbies or favorite activities? Charities?
I enjoy baking, cooking, and spending time with my friends.
20. What is your favorite food?
21. What is your favorite movie?
22. What is your favorite book?
I don’t have a favorite, but I enjoy reading.
23. What is your favorite music group?
24. What’s on your IPod right now? What type of music do enjoy listening to? How about before a meet when you’re trying to get focused and pumped up?
I like to listen to alternative music and Elton John before competitions to help calm me down.
25. If you had to pick 3 words to describe yourself as a gymnast, what are they?
Determined, entertaining and energetic.
26. What 3 words describe you as a person, not the gymnast?
Productive, disciplined and fun.